Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Wednesday Wackiness - When You Can't Figure It Out

Some days I realize how little I or the medical community at large understands about an individuals metabolism.  Sure, the mechanics of a metabolism are well understood but the exogenous variables that impact the system at large are much less easy to define.  That's my nerd way of saying sometimes its impossible to figure out what the hell is going on with blood sugars.

I assume my fellow Type 1 readers have been there, after a string of great blood sugars I'll encounter a day where my blood sugars simply refuse to drop below 300.  In the past this occurred alot after 100 mile bike rides as I trained for an Ironman.  I understood that, my body was releasing a ton of cortisol to repair my sore and fatigue muscles but now that my long bike rides are closer to 40 miles than 100 I no longer have that explanation.  Is it a change in seasons, daylight savings time or perhaps the salad I ate went on an all night carb bender?

On days where I have 1 egg on whole wheat toast, some quinoa and chicken sausage for lunch and a salad for dinner yet have to take in 3x the amount of bolus I normally would to get my bs into a safe zone I just don't get it.  I know those days will pop up time and again and I know I'll probably never have an explanation for those days but that doesn't make those days any less frustrating.

No comments: