Thursday, August 9, 2007

Tastes Great & Sugar Free!

During the workday my beverage options are usually a diet soda (which I try to limit to one a day) or water. Now water is fantastic, takes care of my hydration needs but it is severely lacking in the flavor department. At the Supermarket the other day I came across these:

Crystal Light came out with individually packaged drink mixes. I don't really want to take up the whole fridge at work with a pitcher filled of Crystal Light so these things are absolutely perfect. I fill up my Nalgene with some water drop in a packet of this:


Then I have some flavor to add to my day - sugar free and a nice alternative to the water machine.



6 comments:

Denise said...

I was never much of a water drinker before my diagnosis and then I found Crystal Light On the go and love them. I carry a bottle of water an a strip of Crystal Light everywhere I go now. I was a big drinker of diet soda so this is a nice alternative so I can cut down on how many carbonated drinks I consume. They also sell many store brands of these but I will admit that I like the Crystal Light best.

Jenny said...

It really isn't necessary to drink huge amounts of water. Google "Water myth" for some good scientific discussion of this.

Dr. Bernstein says that too much water is hard on the kidneys of a type 1 and he recommends that you only drink when you feel thirsty. He also says too much water causes the loss of water soluble vitamins and nutrients.

Beyond that, products like Crystal Lite are full of chemicals whose effect on your body really aren't well understood, to say nothing of the Bispenol A leaching out of the plastic bottle.

The whole idea that we will all suffer if we don't drink gallons of water has been promoted by the companies who sell tap water at $1 a bottle. It doesn't hold up to research and there's no reason to strain your kidneys!

Dances with Corgis said...

Jenny, why aren't you wearing your tinfoil hat in that profile picture?

Anonymous said...

I love the Crystal Lite on the Go and they come in lots of flavors.

I keep a bowl by the fridge so I don't have to drink the same flavor all the time, and one in my classroom.

Anonymous said...

Hey...

Got your comment. I have a lot to say on the subject, and can send you my blood sugar/carb intake logs from some of my swims if you give me your e-mail address. You can post it to my blog, and I'll delete your comment once I have it.

I used to live in NYC and consulted for GS and J&W Seligman. Small world, eh? :)


Jen

Alysha said...

Hi,
Just wanted to say that your approach to dealing with diabetes is incredibly inspiring. My mother has type 2, so I'm somewhat familiar with the disease.
Good luck with your training for IronMan!