Thursday, May 17, 2012

Routine really matters

It's been about two weeks now since my life returned to the normal pace, flow and stresses that I had become accustomed to.  During my unemployment my biggest frustration was that I had no control over what great opportunity would let me take the next step in my career.  That forced me to search the internet and network for hours on end trying everything I could to take the next great leap.  The same intensity I put towards that effort also got me totally out of my eating and exercise routine.  Combining those factors is what I believe lead to my worst A1c yet.

However, I've seen a HUGE change in my blood sugar stability, energy levels and overall health since I've returned to work, settled into a sublet and gotten back to my hour + of exercise a day.  Yesterday for example my blood sugar was never higher than 165 and I only hit one low (68) after my bike ride home post lifting.  Numbers like 91, 98, 107 and 117 are visiting my meter much more frequently than numbers like 57, 237, 312 and 192.  Variability is bad for business as a diabetic so the more consistent I stick to my routine the better off I am. 

Thus far since I've refocused my blood sugar management efforts I've really only had one bad day of finger pricks.  On a business trip to Pittsburgh earlier this week my blood sugar went haywire.  I ran about 4 miles in the morning starting with a blood sugar of 210 but I finished with a blood sugar of 208; after taking in a decent amount of insulin my blood sugar had climbed to 268 and was still in the mid 200s at lunch time.  I struggled for most of the day getting my bs in check and may have over corrected as I dropped to 50 right before my plane ride home.  A frustrating day, but I'll take it, if I can hit my #s 9 out of 10 days I'm in a much better place than I was.

Also, I apparently decided to make my return to d-blogging on world diabetes week; pretty happy to be back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm happy to see you getting back to blogging. Your trials and tribulations are always a good read. I like how you weave your numbers into the posts etc.

Corey K.
T2
Greenfield, Wis.