Tuesday, May 15, 2012

It's different the second time around

Last evening I was writing an email to my local Animas rep to get hooked up with pump supplies when it struck me how much I've learned over the past few years.  The first time I chose a pump I scoured the internet, blogs and articles for hours on end to learn anything I could about the differences between pumps.  I picked other t1d's brains about the type of infusion set they were using, the ease of using the pump and even talked a couple companies into letting me try out a pump with saline.  My way of coping with my diagnosis was to bury myself as deeply as I could into understanding how to manage the disease.

Fast forward six years and in my email to my Animas rep I knew exactly what to say and exactly what I needed.  In a brief 2 sentence and 2 bullet point email I emailed my rep with the infusion set and reservoir that I needed.  No fan fare, no worries, just a calm knowledge that I have this thing (at least the ordering of supplies under control).  Now had you asked me a month ago when I was still without health insurance I would have been more frantic, but the details have become common place, it's the management that remains hard.

No comments: