Sunday, February 17, 2008

How Would You Bolus For.....

Finally got around to uploading my pictures from vacation. Could you all have done a better job than me calculating the carbs for each of the below!?!

Coconut Fried Grouper at Alonzo's Oyster Bar in Key West:

I guessed 40 grams of carbs and used the dual wave - pretty sure I was WAY off, a couple hours later, after a few drinks and a Pina Colada I was at 285!

For 2 years I have been craving what is allegedly the best fried grouper sandwich on earth (notice a trend?) Allegedly, B.O. Fish Wagon has them - although a tasty sandwich it didn't quite live up to the hype. I'll still take a Flo's Hot Dog, Cheesesteak from Pats, Lobster Roll from Abbots, or wings from the Anchor Bar any day over this:

Did pretty well with the bolus on this one though; dual wave, guessed 60 grams of carbs and 2 hours later was 160 (needed a slight correction - but was also totally hung over).

A view like this can make all your worries about diabetes, triathlon training and anything else going on in your life go away:

3 comments:

Brett said...

HA HA! Trying to guess that while heavily drinking would be.......hey, a good drinking game in and of itself.

When eating out I try to make my best guess and then add another 30%. It seems like restaurants make it as good (unhealthy) as possible!

Alison said...

Lol yeah I bet drinking adds a whole nother element into trying to figure out boluses. If I was eating the Grouper by itself, I'd probably have bolused very little. But my blood sugar usually has the opposite effect when it comes to restaurant food. I tend to end up going low instead of high. It's such a toss up trying to figure it all out sometimes.

I'm glad you had a fun trip Ed!

Dances with Corgis said...

I keep checking back to this blog looking for pictures of the new bike and have yet to see them!

That looks like some quality grouper right there :) I am happy you finally found the place you have been talking abotu for the past three years!