Sunday, June 3, 2007

The First Bike Ride....

Since my diagnosis on April 2nd my workouts have been limited to half hour runs and hour lifts. Yesterday I was finally able to make it back onto my bike for what I hoped would be an out and back from Manhattan to Rockland Lake (about 70 miles). I started the day with a blood sugar of 110 and had half a cliff bar with no bolus shot. I felt great headed out of the city and at mile 15 my blood sugar was 100, so I took the second half of my cliff bar. I continued on the ride and went up some monstrous hills; on the third hill I felt my first crash and had a Gu to recover quickly. As the miles started to pile up in the 90 degree heat my blood sugar kept getting lower and lower. About 30 miles into the ride I started needing a Gu every 15 minutes as my blood sugar kept dropping into the 60s. Unfortunetley I just couldn't get my blood sugar high enough to finish the ride and had to call in the relief vehicle, my SUV driven by my Dad from Westchester. The whole ride was a learning experience; I now know that I need to take in alot more carbs pre bike ride than I do pre run and that the longer I ride the harder it's going to be to keep my blood sugar at healthy levels. Best of all the hard work resulted in my ability to enjoy some of my favorite foods!

Since exercise makes insulin so much more effective I was able to reward myself with some AWESOME food after the ride:

1 - Oat Bran Carrot Muffin from the Runicevle Spoon in Nyack - absolutley amazing and a great resting spot as I waited for my Dad.

2 - Gnocchetti in Gorgonzola Sauce from Da Andrea in the West Village - if you haven't had a chance to try the pasta at this cozy spot, run to it! Everything is home made and it feels like you're in an Italian Grandmother's kitchen

3 - Cannoli from Roco's Bakery in the West Village - Cannolis and Cookies are by far two of my favorite foods in the world. Since my diagnosis I haven't had the chance to enjoy either but since the insulin was so effective yesterday I knew it was my chance to indulge my vice! My god the cannoli was fantastic! Saving up my food vices for special occasions makes them that much tastier.

Although I didn't get to finish the ride I set out on, I was smart about my diabetes, got in a great workout, learned some things and got to eat some of my favorite foods. If I have to go on a 40 mile bike ride every time I want to eat a cannoli it's well worth it!

4 comments:

Minnesota Nice said...

Hi there. I read your comment on the Aiming for Grace blog.
It sounds like you are doing just wonderful in becoming informed and being a proactive health-care consumer.
Glad you are blogging - it will be very helpful.
Welcome.

Drea said...

Hello!!

I think "welcome" to the blog world...well at least the first time I came across your blog!! I look forward to reading!!

I find I have to plan before any of my workouts or excursions. In the past, my issue was going to high during a day of activity....because of extra eating to avoid going low! What a rollercoaster to get it all figured out!

I decrease my pump basal rate the entire time I am out, whatever I am doing. If it is strenuous, I even turn off my pump until about an hour or so before I am done.

Trial and error learning how your body reacts....I write this as I run out the door to the gym HA! 1 hour before I will turn my basal to 50% and have no snack...then workout for about 30 - 40 minutes weights/free weights and 30 minutes cardio. SHOULD work out.....:)

Dances with Corgis said...

Nice review of Da Andrea! Watch out food-blogging world, Wingman is on the course! ;)

Kerri. said...

Hey Ed, thanks for your comments over at my blog. Welcome to the fray. :)

I spend a lot of time at the gym and am always looking for ways to achieve and maintain decent blood sugar levels. My fiance, who is a personal trainer and a budding diabetes expert (good thing!), may be able to help us both out in the future.

Stay healthy, and let me know if there is any information I can provide, or if you just want to rant! ;)

-- Kerri.
Six Until Me