Wednesday, November 17, 2010

36 hours of shots....

10 am this morning could not have come fast enough.  For the past 36 hours I've been managing my blood sugars with a combination of lantus and novolog injections.  The last time I was on lantus I was still in the "honeymoon," phase of type 1 so I gave myself something like 13 or 14 units of lantus a day.  Because my exercise rate varies daily due to training I manage my blood sugars with a combination of my basal rate and planned boluses throughout the day.  Therefore, I had no clue how much lantus to give msyelf for the the first 24 hours without my tail.

After Anne gave me the lantus I knew I didn't want to go overboard with my long lasting insulin so I gave myself 11 units and planned to manage any highs with novolog injections.  I woke up with a blood sugar of 255 and had an egg on a small multigrain english muffin for breakfast.  By the time I got into work about an hour later my glucose had popped to 352.  The day was not off to a good start and I was feeling awful, I was thirsty, had to pee, had unclear vision and my head felt like someone was lightly tapping it from the inside.  For the next 6 hours my blood sugar oscillated between 275 and 325 as I gave myself injection after injection.  Finally around 3pm my blood sugar dipped below 100 and then quickly dropped into the 70s.  I had a clif bar to bring my bs back up and then took another injection when I saw my blood sugar rise to 180.

When I got home at 7:30 pm I took in 14 units of lantus and 4 units of novolog to cover the salad I was having for dinner.  Thankfully my blood sugar finally stabilized as I laid on my bed and watched some Netflix too exhausted to move.  I woke up with a blood sugar of 190, took in 2 units of insulin, had a cup of coffee and rode my bike to work.  Once at work my blood sugar remained at 120 and finally at 10am my new pump arrived.

Today I feel 1,000 times better than I did yesterday; I have no idea how I lived like that everyday for a year as I went undiagnosed.  The headache, the thirst, the muscle cramps, the problems seeing; all those little symptoms that had me so confused from 2006 - 2007 were on full display yesterday as my blood sugar was consistently the highest it had been in many, many years.  With a stomach sore from the # of injections I gave myself yesterday I sit here tremendously happy knowing that my tail is firmly in place and that I'm back in control.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What pool did you decide on? I was looking at the Mission Bay one myself.