Thursday, May 6, 2010

My Blood Sugar Is Driving Me Crazy!

For the past week or so my blood sugar has shown no consistency and has had no discernable trends.  My blood sugar has alternated between a high day and a low day each of the pat 7 days; I've never experienced something like this and have no clue what's going on.  No matter how much data I collect or how actively I manage my blood sugar with insulin I can't get it under control.

Originally I had thought my 300 - 400 day on Sunday was due to all the salt and water I lost during my hellish 100 mile ride on Saturday.  I figured that the intensity of that workout caused my body's metabolic rate to go totally out of whack.  The previous week my blood sugars had been a bit funky but were only a little outside the realm of normal.  Monday after my 15 mile run my blood sugars were fine throughout the day, they never crested above 210 and I was pretty happy with how my body reacted to insulin intakes. 

Tuesday it was back to a day of highs, where I had to fight off 300s throughout the day.  I was able to get in all my workouts on Tuesday including a pretty hard swim with a 10 x 100 hard effort but my blood sugar was still in the 300s for a few hours from 9pm to 12 am, no matter how much insulin I took in.  Then yesterday my blood sugars returned to the normal range, I even had a few lows, including one particurally bad low around 12 pm. 

Fast forward to 9pm last night - my blood sugars crested back into the 200s (maybe a basal rate, maybe too many carbs at dinner).  I woke up with 2 low blood sugars below 60 last night and woke up with a blood sugar of 85 - seemed like it would be a day of steady blood sugars.  At 9:30 am I had my regular breakfast of 1 bannana, a 1/2 cup of frozen berries and 6 oz of odawala superfood; a total of 45 grams of carbohydrates.  My blood sugar seemed to be stable, until it spiked way up to 251 - I have the same breakfast just about everyday and I can't recall a time delayed spike like that at any previous time. 

This every other day trend is driving me crazy and I can't figure it out.  I'm nervous to play around with my basal rates because I seem to fluctuate between hi and low and don't want the lows to get too dangerous.  I have my regularly scheduled appointment with my endo tomorrow so hopefully we can come up with a strategy to solve what's going on.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

These kind of things drive me nuts too. You haven't changed much of anything, yet BOOM - your numbers go all out of whack. What gives? Diabetes makes no sense sometimes.

Anonymous said...

After 33 years taking insulin, I find no rhyme or reason to any of it. It seems to have a mind of its own, the frustration exacerbated by doctors and well-meaning family and friends who ask what you did wrong to cause these swings. I think it is a very imperfect science. We cannot factor everything in, but we still have to try. The thing is - we can't take responsibility for every fluctuation because sometimes there is no explanation besides that's just the way it is.