Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Endo Follow Up

This morning I had my first "true" follow up with my Endo. I've read other blogers accounts of their 3 month visit but I had yet to feel the anticipation of a new A1c. I entered the office, sat down in the testing room and anxiously waited until Dr. Goland called me into her office. Upon meeting me in the waiting room she had a huge smile on her face and pointed at a number in my chart.... 5.6!!!!!!!!!! Back on April 2nd my A1c was above 16 and during one of my early visits about the pump (mid May) my A1c was 7.8 - having a "normal" A1c let me know that all the hard work and sacrifices that I've been making since my diagnosis are paying off and that I am handing diabetes a "defeat" each day. The challenge to maintain this healthy level will continue to motivate me to run, lift, bike, swim and challenge myself athletically in whatever way possible. I may eventually have to find something besides chicken sausage and artichokes to eat but for now that's working too!

What made the office visit even better was getting to meet about 25 kids who go to the Naomi Berrie Center's summer camp. Each one of the campers is a patient at the center and about 2/3 wear pumps. I had no idea that the center ran such a program and was thrilled to meet all of them. Kerri who is working with me on the "Friends of the Berrie Center" fund raising effort saw me sign in and said I have something to show you... she took me to one of the back offices where I saw 25 of the happiest kids I've ever seen with bright yellow t-shirts on. Today they were all going to play tennis and earlier in the week they went to the zoo. The Berrie Center takes a family oriented holistic approach to diabetic care and seeing the smile on those kids faces really drove that point home. The office is more than a medical center it is a place of support, hope and confidence for all of us who struggle with the disease.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Came across your site, and wanted to say Congrats on the AMAZING a1c!!!! :) mine was 7.2 last time, i'm not looking forward to having it tested again.. :\

Hope you have a great day!
-Mollie

Anonymous said...

Wow that is a great A1C, I have never had a number that low. My Endo usually has a sad face when they see me come in.

Allison said...

FABULOUS! I am so jealous. My last A1C was 7.4 and I know it's gone up so I'm trying to get my average back down before going in again. Hope you can keep that A1C where it is! Take care.

Anne Findlay said...

That is fabulous! Congrat's. Keep up the great work!!

Kerri. said...

Nice job, Ed. Congrats!! (And I still have to answer your other email - I swear I'll do that before the end of the month ... ish!)

Chels said...

I am a 22 year old just moved to NYC and would love to hear more information about Dr. Goland and the Berrie Center (I have an appt scheduled for August). Also side note, I work for the PR agency that represents Exubera, the inhaled insulin, which is pretty great to get paid to spread the word about diabetes care. Please let me know!

Chels said...

PS you can email me at cflaherty@webershandwick.com if you wouldn't mind!

Anonymous said...

Hey, here is that website i was talking about where i made the extra cash.. later! i'm going to cali next week..check this out

Scott K. Johnson said...

Wow man! That is a FANTASTIC A1C!!! Way to go!

Shannon said...

Awesome A1C! I can imagine what a relief it is to know that all of your workouts do indeed pay off.

Congratulations!

HVS said...

congrats on the a1c-keep up the good work!

Vickie said...

As encouragement, if you are into tris and have diabetes, a friend of mine was diagnosed a few years ago but still does IM races routinely--and he's in his 50s, so there is hope.

Dances with Corgis said...

Hurrah for your low #! I am taking this as certified documentation that you are fully equipt to handle a weekend camping (except, perhaps, maybe mentally ;) )

Cara said...

I am so happy for you with that A1c! Congrats. A number below 6 is what I am shooting for, although my last one was 6.6. But I am working on it. Testing more frequently, trying to get into the exercise thing... so we will see. I have another A1c test mid month in August and my appointment is at the end of August. I'm just working hard and hoping for the best.
Keep up the good work!