Wednesday, May 30, 2007

In The Name Of Research!

I did proclaim my love of the Animas pump after my brief trial but in the interest of fairness and information I have decided to go on a similar saline trial with the Minimed 522 pump. After this trial I will be able to report on the pluses and minuses of each pump and really make an informed decision about which device will help me best control my blood sugars. Next Wednesday I'm also meeting with a rep from Deltec, the makers of the Cozmo pump. The Cozmo pump has been getting some good publicity on the internets and I wanted to check them out as well. Unfortunately, Deltec has a policy of not allowing saline trials so I'll have to really check that pump out during the sales pitch.

I'd love to hear the experience of some pump users out there!

3 comments:

Dances with Corgis said...

1. What would be an awesome post would be a chart with the plusses and minuses of each pump.

2. Start leaving some comments on other diabetes blogs and people will check this place out and leave you comments.

3. I think it's a great idea you have to try the Minimed pump...we all know how you like to be the most informed person in the world! :)

Kerri. said...

I'm currently using a Minimed Paradigm 512. I've been traveling with this thing for 3 1/2 years, and spent the 17 years prior on multiple daily injections.

If there are any pumping questions I can answer, I'd love to help. I think wearing this device has made a big difference in my diabetes management and I wish I had made the transition sooner.

... and your friend Skirough is right. Once you start peppering the blogosphere with comments, we'll track back and find you. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Ed! Great blog, I came across it searching for triathletes in NYC that are posting workouts and whatnot on the 'net. I started out as a swimmer and "went tri"...I always thought Gary Hall Jr.'s story was kind of cool - he's also quite a character out of the water, which makes him that much more inspiring and loveable.

In 1999, Gary Hall Jr. was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, commonly referred to as childhood or juvenile diabetes. Upon his diagnosis, Hall struggled with the possibilities and the effects he knew the medical condition would have on his life. Hall took a short hiatus from swimming, but returned in time to compete in the 2000 U.S. Olympic Trials. There he won the 50m freestyle and placed second in the 100m freestyle. His 50m time, at 21.76 seconds set a new American record, beating the ten-year old record set by Tom Jager.

(Wow, right?) He's also not done swimming...he just came out of retirement and is swimming FAST.

I wish you the best! Keep up all your hard work.

Megan megan@terriertri.com